Sunday, January 01, 2006

wild gardener

WEEKLY WRITER’S PATH #1

There is only a soft blue line on the northwest horizon outside my window this morning on the eve of the New Year. The rest of the sky is opaque white, not the usual glass-blue Santa Fe sky. The wind blows the tall brown stalks of Maximillion daisies, teetering them back and forth. I have decided to be a wild gardener in the New Year and not cut back the daises; they make the wind visible in an otherwise still morning.

I am not the type of person who waits for the New Year to come around to make promises to myself; I do it all year long. But the winter solstice is now past and as January 1 approaches from down a long hall, I can hear the very beginning of footfalls that indicate a time to move. I am embarking on a journey many friends have been on. This year I am taking my Buddhist travel memoir/love story, DIZZY SUSHI out the door with me and down a winding, dirt path. I don’t know what lies ahead. My very own New York Literary agent and a three-book contract is the novice dream I have, but likely I will encounter great trolls and miss some elevensies in the process.

But if you are willing to come with me, I will make one promise to you: Here on this page, I will weekly give you the summary of my journey, for good or ill. Together we will face successes (hopefully), rejection letters (undoubtedly), and an awareness of one person’s process to be published.

Will you join me? Will you be a wild gardener, come to look at my wintry garden patch with its dry soil and burrs that catch in your sock cuffs? Pack a loaf of bread and a couple crisp apples, chose your sturdiest walking stick. Glad to have you along. Let’s go.